Tuesday, July 16, 2013

"Primal" Parfait? Really??!!

I was at the Howard County 4-H Fair last week, waiting for the 4-H Junior Miss Queen Pageant to start. My niece was competing. So while waiting, I did what most people do at fairs in the Midwest.

Eat. Of course. Why else do people go to fairs and festivals? It's not like we can get elephant ears, walking tacos, and deep fried Oreos just anywhere.

As I was wandering around, wondering if there was anything even remotely Primal/Paleo that I could eat at this deep fried fest, I came upon Porky's BBQ of Lafayette, Indiana, home of the Pork Parfait.

Pork Parfait. Really. Check this out!

The Pork Parfait. Yes, I had already taken a bite out of it. But...you get the idea.


I had to ask. How could I not?

A Pork Parfait is barbecued pulled pork, mashed potatoes, and barbecue sauce layered an ice cream parfait cup. Ignoring the soy and corn syrup that is probably in the sauce (and the milk in the potatoes...or the potatoes), this might be the closest thing to Primal/Paleo at the entire fair!

Of course, I had to try one. It was quite yummy. A little too heavy eating for the hot Indiana summer sun for my taste, but I would happily sit down with this parfait anytime in the other three seasons here in the Hoosier state.

Porky's BBQ also has pulled pork you can get without the mashed potatoes and parfait cup. They also have beef brisket, which is quite yummy (I had a sample). Their meats are slow cooked to moist, melt in your mouth perfection.

I highly recommend them if you're at the Indiana State Fair this August 2-18. According to Porky BBQ's Facebook page, they're going to be there. And their website has a coupon for 10% off at the fair. An excellent deal for excellent barbecue!

No comments:

Post a Comment