Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Breaded Pork Chops and Almond Flour Fritters




The old saying is that “necessity is the mother of invention.”
It seems that “waste not, want not” causes more invention in my house.
I was raised poor. I mean dirt poor. As in “eating out of church boxes, one missed rent payment from living in a box on the street” poor. So the idea of wasting food, even to this day, makes me sick to my stomach.
So when I decided I really wanted breaded and fried pork chops the other night, I hit a small conundrum. Okay, maybe a few small conundrums.
Conundrum 1 (I love this word, by the way): What am I going to bread the chops with? Regular flour is right out, because a) I don’t eat wheat and b) there isn’t any in the house.
Solution to Conundrum 1: Almond Flour. Why not? The texture of almond flour is closer to corn meal than wheat flour, so it would make a nice, crumbly crust. I thought, I’ll just dredge the chops in some egg and then the flour mix and fry them up. So here is the mix I used to make 2 chops. You'll want more oil if you make more.
Breaded Pork Chops
1 cup almond flour (you can use Bob's Red Mill or Trader Joe's)
1 tsp Trader Joe's 21 Salute Seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs
2 tsp bacon grease
2 tsp coconut oil
Heat the oil in a skillet. Mix the almond flour, seasoning, and salt together in one pan. In the other pan, whip the eggs (don't cook them!). Dip the chops into the egg mixture, then dredge in the dry mixture on each side. Place in the skillet and cook on both sides until done. Don't turn them too much. I actually only turned the chops once.
It worked! The chops had a nice, fried, breaded coating...what? I'm a Hoosier! We like our fried food. And my husband and I don't cook like this often.
Then I hit…
Conundrum 2: What do I do with the leftover breading? Throwing away almond flour is completely out of the question! Even if it has had raw pork meat rubbed in it. Almond flour is way too expensive to waste! For that matter, so were the leftover farm-fresh grass-fed eggs I had used.
Solution to Conundrum 2: I’ll add a little more salt to the almond flour and seasonings then add the egg. I’ll fry them in the pan after the chops are done, and voila! Almond Flour Fritters!
What?
They’re kind of like a hush puppy, but shaped more like a pancake. But they were tasty! I stumbled upon a great idea! And here’s the recipe.
Almond Flour Fritters
Makes about 8-10 fritters
1 cup almond flour (I had to add some to get back up to a cup)
2 eggs (about 1 egg had been used to coat the chops)
1 tsp Trader Joe’s 21 Salute seasoning
¼ tsp salt
Oil for frying
 Mix the dry ingredients together, then blend in the eggs. Let the batter sit about 5-10 minutes. In a skillet, heat enough oil to be about ½-1 inch of oil. Drop teaspoon servings of batter into the skillet. Cook until done on one side, then turn and cook until done on the other side. Drain on a paper towel and serve warm. Though I had one the next day straight from my fridge, and it actually tasted better cold.
I served the chops and fritters with some boiled red potatoes (yeah, I know they're not Paleo, but I'm a little too Irish to give them up). Dinner got my husband, David's, grunt of approval.
Drop me a line and let me know what you think of these tasty morsels.

1 comment:

  1. By the way, if you are allergic to nuts, you can use coconut flour instead of almond flour. You might have to add an egg, though, because coconut flour soaks up a lot of moisture.

    ReplyDelete