Thursday, April 25, 2013

You're the What?

"You're the Hoosier Paleo Gourmand?"

What?!!

Let me break it down.

Hoosier: I’m a Hoosier, born and raised. It means I come from Indiana. Love me or hate me for it…I really don’t care. It’s taken me years to reach this point, but I love the fact that I come from the Midwest. We’re an interesting set of people. Polite and friendly, but sometimes a little distant (until we get to know you, then we're often as loyal as you can get). A friend of mine claims we Hoosiers are a lot like our German ancestors that way (he’s from Lichtenstein, so I’ll take his word for it).

Paleo: I eat following (somewhat loosely) the Paleo eating style. It’s a healthy way of eating a lower carbohydrate diet that has a lot of health benefits (at least, to me it has). I’ll explain more about that in the next post. Is everything I follow “hardcore” Paleo? Lord, no! Being “hardcore” about eating is too stressful, and I live by this motto…

“Stressing out about eating healthy defeats the purpose!”

Gourmand: I’ve been cooking since I was 9 years old, but I’ve never been “professionally” trained, unless being trained by a short-order cook and bakery/deli counter worker counts (Hi, Mom!). And a “gourmand” is someone who loves and appreciates food (and knows a lot about it) but doesn’t have professional training regarding it (that would be a “gourmet”).

So that's me...the Hoosier Paleo Gourmand!

Join me on my journey as I explore the wonderful world of food, through both the adventures in my kitchen and the amazing foraging I do out in the world of grocery stores, farmers markets, and restaurants. Buckle up! It’s going to be a wild and crazy (but tasty) ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment