Monday, May 6, 2013

Grinding Your Own Hamburger Part 1

So I was listening to America's Test Kitchen on NPR yesterday, and I heard you can grind your own hamburger meat using a food processor.

Yes...you read that correctly...a food processor.

According to the chefs, using a food processor breaks up the connective tissue in the meat, so your burgers won't shrink up into tennis ball shapes when you fry/grill them. The show recommended using flank, skirt or flat iron cuts instead of chuck or round steak, though you can still use those cuts.

I'm curious to see if the meat will "stick together" less when you fry it in bulk instead of in patty shape. I have some flank or skirt steak in the freezer (can't remember which off the top of my head). I may just have to try this! Once I figure out the process, I'll present it in Part 2. I will make sure to try both bulk and patties during the test (lots of cooked beef makes for a happy household in my family).

What cuts do you think would be used for ground pork? Feel free to weigh in with a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment